I came cross this on Facebook and my husband instantly fell in love. He loves chowder and loves cauliflower. With a little adjusting, it's absolutely on-plan!
photo by: @twopeasandtheirpod
1/2 large head of cauliflower, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (divided into 2 x 1/2 tablespoon)
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 medium white onion, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 – 1 tablespoon GMO-free organic cornflower
300ml low-sodium GMO-free organic vegetable stock
100ml unsweetened Almond milk
4 tablespoons mature / sharp cheddar
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
2. Place cauliflower and garlic cloves on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with half of the olive oil and toss until well coated. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Place sheet in the oven and roast for 20-25 minutes or until cauliflower is tender, stirring once. Remove from oven, separate the cauliflower and garlic and set aside.
3. Place the remaining oi in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add carrots and celery and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Finely chop the roasted garlic cloves. Add the garlic, roasted cauliflower, bay leaf, and dried thyme to the pot.
5. Sprinkle cornflour over vegetables and stir. Cook until the cornflour disappears.
6. Pour in the stock and stir.
7. Simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the almond milk and grated cheese.
8. Stir until cheese is melted and chowder is creamy.
9. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
Adapted from: @twopeasandtheirpod
Printable version available here